Tuesday 9 April 2024

Albert Einstein said, "The more I study science, the more I am amazed by the complexity of the universe and the more I believe in the existence of a creator." If a scientist doesn't believe in God, does it mean s/he didn't study science enough?

 A: Why do you do yourself, your religion and Einstein a disservice by using a false quote?

The actual quote attributed to Einstein is “The more I study, the more I believe in God.” However, there is no evidence that he actually said it. It is nowhere to be found in his writing, though.

You can find a lot of similar but different quotes by Einstein, such as:

I want to know how God created this world. I'm not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details.

–Albert Einstein, 1955

Then you can also find quotes like:

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

–Albert Einstein, 1954

And here are some other views on religion from Einstein:

"I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the type of which we are conscious in ourselves. An individual who should survive his physical death is also beyond my comprehension, nor do I wish it otherwise; such notions are for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls. Enough for me the mystery of the eternity of life, and the inkling of the marvellous structure of reality, together with the single-hearted endeavour to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the reason that manifests itself in nature."

–Albert Einstein, 1935

"It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously."

–Albert Einstein, 1947

"The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naïve."

–Albert Einstein, 1952

"My position concerning God is that of an agnostic. I am convinced that a vivid consciousness of the primary importance of moral principles for the betterment and ennoblement of life does not need the idea of a law-giver, especially a law-giver who works on the basis of reward and punishment."

–Albert Einstein, 1952

So what did Einstein think about God or a creator? Nothing like you do, John: his view of a God?

We can get a clue from these quotes:

"My views are near those of Spinoza: admiration for the beauty of and belief in the logical simplicity of the order which we can grasp humbly and only imperfectly. I believe that we have to content ourselves with our imperfect knowledge and understanding and treat values and moral obligations as a purely human problem—the most important of all human problems."

–Albert Einstein, 1930

Let’s also go back to the first quote I mentioned:

“I want to know how God created this world. I'm not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details.”

–Albert Einstein, 1955

But more revealing, I think, is this quote:

“What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world.”

– Albert Einstein to one of his assistants, Ernst Strauss

Einstein’s idea is somewhat like a pantheist: his god was the beauty, complexity and simplicity of the universe and how the universe ticked. The universe itself was his god, but likely not in a mystical supernatural sense. Rather, it is the awe-inspiring sense of wonder when you look up in the night sky, and realise that a star just poked you in the eye, or the sense of wonder you get when Carl Sagan says “The cosmos is within us. We are made of star-stuff. We are a way for the universe to know itself.”


Q: If a scientist doesn't believe in God, does it mean s/he didn't study science enough?

A: No, it doesn’t mean that.

Again, go back to Einstein’s actual sayings, especially this bit:

“I want to know how God created this world. I'm not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details.”

–Albert Einstein, 1955

In the light of Einstein’s other quotes, it is clear what he means by “God” is the big picture, and “His thoughts” rather refers to how the universe works. To do that, you cannot be bogged down in little details. In a way, if you want to understand science, you have to go big! You have to try to understand the big picture, how everything is connected.

And you can get that big picture if you allow yourself to broaden the horizon, to try to see how it all is connected. I believe that is the “God” Einstein was looking for, not one of Earth’s petty religions. In fact, you cannot find that “God” in religion at all. You have to look at the world, rather than holy books or churches, to get that understanding. Again, remember Carl Sagan’s words: “The cosmos is within us. We are made of star-stuff. We are a way for the universe to know itself.”

In Robert Heinlein’s novel Stranger in a Strange Land, he introduced the word “grok”, a word from the (fictional) Martian civilisation. It is supposed to literaly mean “to drink”, but is used in a much broader sense as “to comprehend”, “to love”, “to be one with”.

So perhaps the quote attributed to Einstein should read:

The more I study, the more I grok the oneness of the Cosmos

–Definitely not Einstein

That I can definitely agree with. And if you believe the gospel according to Thomas, you could argue that even Jesus agrees:

Split a piece of wood; I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there.

–Gospel of Thomas, saying 77

The rest are details.

No comments:

Post a Comment